The Queen had fond childhood memories of the ballroom at Balmoral. It is noted that in 1852, the Queen’s parents had started an annual ball for thanking their staff– a family tradition which was continued to date. Thus, the Queen had been dancing at the ballroom of the Balmoral Castle since she was a young girl aged 12.
As per a detailed plan of the Queen’s final journey before her funeral on September 19, 2022, Queen Elizabeth’s coffin was taken from the ballroom of Balmoral castle in Scotland, through the adjacent towns of Aberdeen and Dundee. The process started at 10 AM UK time from Balmoral by road and it is expected to reach the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh by 4PM UK time.
Step-by-step details of the journey of Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin:
– The Queen’s coffin will reach the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh by 4PM UK time on September 11, 2022. She will rest in the Throne Room at the Palace until the afternoon of September 12 (Monday).
– On September 12 afternoon (Monday), ‘a Procession will be formed on the forecourt of the Palace of Holyroodhouse to convey the Coffin to St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh. The King and Members of the Royal Family will take part in the Procession and attend a Service in St Giles’ Cathedral to receive the Coffin,’ as per a statement by the Royal Family. The Queen’s coffin will ‘lie at rest’ at St Giles’ Cathedral where people of Scotland can visit to pay their last respects.
– On September 13, 2022 afternoon (Tuesday), the Queen’s coffin will be accompanied by Princess Royal Anne and together they’ll travel from Scotland by a Royal Air Force aircraft to RAF Northolt. The Queen’s coffin will then travel by road and be taken to the Bow Room at Buckingham Palace.
– On September 14 (Wednesday), the Queen’s coffin ‘will be borne in Procession on a Gun Carriage of The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster, where The Queen will Lie-in-State in Westminster Hall until the morning of the State Funeral (on September 19,’ as per a statement by the Royal Family. King Charles III will lead the procession behind the Carriage carrying the Queen’s coffin.
– During the Lying-in-State, the general public will be allowed to visit Westminster Hall in order to pay their last respects to the Queen.
– On September 19, 2022 morning, Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin will be taken in a Procession from the Palace of Westminster to Westminster Abbey. A State Funeral Service will be held.
– ‘Following the State Funeral, the Coffin will travel in Procession from Westminster Abbey to Wellington Arch. From Wellington Arch, the Coffin will travel to Windsor and once there, the State Hearse will travel in Procession to St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle via the Long Walk. A Committal Service will then take place in St George’s Chapel,’ as per a statement by the Royal Family.